Located in the growing southwest suburbs of Kansas City, Kaw Prairie Community Church is a young and energetic, multiple-affiliation church (Lutheran, Presbyterian, Willow Creek), learning how to trust Jesus, grow disciples, and bless people, and change lives with Jesus’ love.
Kaw Prairie is a 14-year-old congregation worshiping approximately 350 per week, with a contemporary worship style. It is a healthy mix of doing and praying, evangelical and mainline, conservative and liberal, ancient sacrament and modern technology.
Provide inspiring worship and worship department leadership at Kaw Prairie by being a humble, faithful Christ-follower personally, and by providing the spiritual, musical, and program leadership necessary to grow and multiply teams able to provide a high-quality, authentic-to-the-culture worship experience on Sundays, midweek, and in occasional special events.
Sunday worship is the weekly heartbeat of a healthy congregation, and after a period of regularly rotating worship leaders, the church is ready for engaging, competent leadership able to meet the following major goals:
- Model a life of discipleship for the congregation by humbly and joyfully following Jesus in a way authentic to your personality.
- Clearly articulating and encouraging your life-changing trust in Jesus.
- Supervise and grow ministry volunteers and paid support staff into deeper discipleship, performance excellence, and effective use of their gifts and talents.
- Help team members multiply their impact by recruiting and developing fellow musicians and tech volunteers.
- Lead Kaw Prairie worship in an energetic, spiritually meaningful way, with a presence at KP outside of worship time.
- Providing spiritual and pastoral leadership to the KP musicians and support teams.
- Inviting, auditioning, and developing new musicians.
- Creating and maintaining service plans and scheduling of the band
- Coordinating with pastors to select music matching seasonal/series and teaching topics including introducing new music to augment the familiar.
- Scheduling and leading rehearsals, coordinating times with tech staff (sound and display) and occasionally, with other staff as needed.
- Connect personally, proactively, and successfully with the congregation on Sunday mornings and during other potential fishing pool events.
- Participate in staff responsibilities such as weekly staff meetings, worship planning team meetings, monthly trainings, and supporting church-wide special events
- Participate in the life of the congregation as able and appropriate. • Be awesome at least 80% of the time.
Hours: approx. 24 hours a week (HT)
Reports to: Lead Pastor
Supervisees: Asst Band Leader, Tech Director, occasional guest musicians
- Eagerness to grow the Kingdom of God by growing the local church.
- Eagerness to model trusting Jesus, growing disciples, and bless people, so together the worship ministry teams, and the whole church, can change more and more lives with Jesus’ love.
- Ability to consistently lead worship in a meaningful, high-quality, prayerful and invitational way.
- Skillful musician, able to teach and improve the performance of both instrumental and vocal band and ensemble members.
- Skillful recruiter, able to slowly build relationships with worshipers reluctant to offer their musical gifts.
- Ability to create chord charts, direct and lead band as required.
- Ability to maintain and evaluate music equipment.
- Knowledge of Planning Center Online, ProPresenter and Proclaim software preferred but not required, as long as you can learn it successfully.
- Working knowledge of sound systems.
- Ability to lead/direct vocal ensembles or even choirs a plus but not required.
- Experience with liturgical elements of worship a plus, and comfort with their occasional use is essential.
Please send cover letter, resume, and links to worship media samples to email@example.com and firstname.lastname@example.org.